Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Funky Smell of Hysteria

Bouldering last night went very well. However, I find myself making a few mistakes. They are as follows:

1. Not breathing.
2. Grabbing big, juggy holds.
3. Gripping too tight.

Two of these rules are counter to the very nature of life and nature of climbing. 1 and 3 should be easy to rectify. Keep breathing. Just stay focused. Stay breathing. Next, the grip needs to be ONLY as tight as it need to be to keep you on the rock. ONLY. There is no reason to have a death-grip on a hold if a lighter grip will work just as well, and maybe even better.

As to #2, I just need to remind myself to try new things. Crimping. Crimp crimp crimp. Let's do this.

Finally tried liquid chalk last night. Weird stuff. Effective though. I don't know how I feel about it. It's unique. If I did use chalk, I might consider buying a tube of this stuff. Somebody was boasting that it lasts for months. Well, I've had the same chalk ball for the past...6 years. I'd say that it's a pretty good life span.

No comments: