Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cut Your Coffee With Draino and Cream

Another 40 miles of bike riding yesterday. An hour of bouldering, and I've almost got the roof route I've been working on done. I can feel my fingers getting stronger every day. Feels good, baby. Feels REAL good.

But yesterday was a weird day. I made a decision. A decision I've never made before. "Hey, take it easy. Don't push yourself TOO hard." I decided not to bike home from a friend's house. I could've done it, I know. I could have added another 4 miles onto my day. But I didn't. I told myself, "What greek god was known for biking everyday? None." I had to remind myself, "You're Achilles. You're a runner. At heart, you run. Don't forget that."

Fitting. I had given up on running for a while. This year's Grandma's Marathon was supposed to be my last. I keep telling myself that over and over. It never works. My sister convinced me to sign up for the Mardi Gras Rock and Roll Marathon in February.

That's right. A marathon in February. So I will be up in Minnesota, during the heart of winter and the height of cross country ski season, running. Running. Being one of those redunkulous looking people wearing tights under super short shorts, and a vest over a poly-pro shirt. Sweating so bad that steam rises from my body.

But, to make things worse, I signed up for a 10 mile race at the end of October. A 10 miler? Ugh. Why can't I just do 5k's again? They're over before they even start! That's what's awesome about them.

No comments: