Monday, January 21, 2008

After the Battle of Marathon

Today my friend Kris called me to inform me he's going to run the Fargo Marathon. Then he convinced me to run it with him.

So I now have a goal. By the time May 17th comes around, I am going to be back into marathon-shape. I am going to redeem myself from the shameful performance that I had during the Twin Cities Marathon. This year I will get sub-4. Less than 4 hours will be no problem.

Today I took the day off. I did my morning yoga of the sun salutation. I had two packets of oatmeal with almonds for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and chili for dinner. I'm planning to do my tibetan yoga this evening before I go to bed in order to loosen up my back before lifting again tomorrow. The pizza for lunch was a poor decision, but sometimes you need some poor food in your diet.

Tomorrow will mark the first day of training for the marathon. From now on, running will be my main focus.

Eating oatmeal every morning is great for health and for energy. It's a good protein because of how slowly it digests. Keeps you fueled until noon when you can refill your engines. It's one of those meals that makes me feel like I actually have energy instead of making me feel sluggish. I suggest oatmeal every morning with a bit of cocoa powder and some almonds. ACTUAL cocoa powder and not hot chocolate powder. The bitterness is important, just don't put too much cocoa powder in, it needs less than a teaspoon.

No comments: