Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Human Body as a Machine

As I recall studying in some class along the way (physiology or biology or something), it takes over 50 muscles to take one step forward. I believe it was 54 or something of the sort. The way that all the muscles are interlocked and work with the tendons and the bones is absolutely incredible. Is it really a surprise that injuries can easily happen, and when they do they just put a body out of use for a while.

Another good way to look at it is an "energy in = energy out" kind of concept. Losing weight isn't nearly as complicated as some people would like to lead you to believe. A simple formula is "eat less, walk more." While this is a very simple idea, it makes sense. When eating, try not to think about feeling full or good tasting food. Instead, start to think about foods that make you feel energized. I can't stress this enough. Then, start to think about how many calories are burned during a normal day. A nutritionist should be able to help calculate the caloric intake necessary for a day. My caloric intake is 3500 calories a day. In an average workout, I am burning about 1000 of those calories. If I want to lower my weight, I would simply lower my calories for the day (without cutting out essential vitamins).

Thyroid problem? We'll come to that another day.

No comments: