Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Skiing in Sub-zero

Today's workout included cross country skiing. It was frigid outside, but I got working enough that it was really warm. I was out for about an hour. It was a great workout. Only problem was that there wasn't enough snow and I had to make my own tracks. It was great, but I really worked my calves hard. Never really did that from skiing before, but these are different skis than I'm used to. I also got to do some skate skiing.
Then I went to Optimum and did some more upperbody work today. I've been having some problems with my shoulder from lifting too much too soon on my shoulders. I didn't wait for my muscle memory to catch up. It's okay though, because my shoulder is fine, it's just a little sore. While my friend would swear by trigger point massage, I think it also stems from the fact that I've been ignoring stretcing my shoulders.
I did a morning session of yoga, two afternoon sessions (one normal and one Tibetan), and an evening session. Necessary? Not particularly. There's no reason NOT to do it though. It stretches out the body. It helps a person feel better and healthier.
I didn't run with Phil. Instead, I spent the time starting on my New Year's resolution:
Hand-stand push-ups.
Today I acheived lowering myself to where my elbows were almost 90 degrees and pushing myself back up. I did five of those, and it took almost all of my strength. I'm guessing at this rate I will be able to accomplish full hand-stand push-ups by the second week in February.

Because I didn't go for a run today, I did an extra set of ab work. I need to start sculpting my abs more before the marathon. It's amazing how important the core muscles are to any and every sport.

No comments: